Partial Knee Replacement Surgery in NYC
What is partial knee replacement?
One in five Americans will be affected by knee arthritis at some point in life, making knee replacement surgery increasingly common. While total knee replacement surgery is typically recommended when damage is severe, in other cases, certain parts of the bone and surrounding knee cartilage can be salvaged. Rather than replacing the entire knee joint, patients with less knee damage may opt to undergo partial knee replacement surgery instead. Partial knee replacement surgery involves removing a small amount of damaged bone or cartilage and replacing the surface, while leaving the healthy bone and cartilage intact.
Why is partial knee replacement surgery performed?
You may be a candidate for partial knee replacement surgery if you are suffering from osteoarthritis of the knee or post traumatic arthritis of the knee. Both of these arthritic knee conditions are associated with symptoms that may include:
- Knee pain, which may develop gradually over time
- Knee pain that may feel worse in the morning, after sitting for an extended period, or with excessive use
- Swelling in the knee
- “Locking” feeling when moving knee
- “Crunching” sound and feeling when bending the knee
- Weakness or buckling in the knee
- Decreased range of motion in the knee
What does partial knee replacement involve?
Each partial knee replacement procedure is tailored to the individual needs of the patient and may vary from case to case. The general steps involved with a partial knee replacement include:
- Administering regional anesthesia and a sedative so you are comfortable throughout surgery
- Making an incision along the front of the knee to access the knee joint
- Removing damaged cartilage and bone from the knee joint in the specific compartment that is being treated, which may also involve resurfacing the ends of the bones in the joint
- Securing the components of the knee implant into their proper placement
- Closing the incision
What are the advantages of undergoing partial knee replacement?
The benefits of undergoing partial knee replacement surgery with Dr. Peter K. Sculco include the following:
- Restored function of the knee
- Reduced joint pain
- Healthy bone and cartilage remain intact
- Shorter recovery
If you’re suffering from decreased range of motion and pain in your knee joint, the first step to getting back to your normal life quickly is scheduling an evaluation with an experienced orthopedic surgeon. Dr. Peter K. Sculco provides customized treatment plans and personalized care paired with world-class orthopedic training. Call 212.606.1771 today or fill out the form on this page to request an appointment.